Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Half

As part of our training, we wanted to do a half marathon.  We had already run further than 13 miles, but we felt that it would be good for us to do an official run.  I wanted to feel the energy of a race atmosphere.  So we signed up for the Parowan Half:  Yankee Meadow Run.  I was really excited to do this race because it was so much downhill, and it was a drop back from the longer runs we had already started to do.

This race is in such a beautiful place.  The canyon has the beauty of aspen trees as well as pine and oak.  The starting line was at a picturesque reservoir,




























then the race dropped into some red sandstone





































before ending in the tiny town of Parowan.

I wish I could say that the half was nothing but a great experience.  It was not.  Was I glad we did it?  Definitely.  But it was TOUGH!  The first couple of miles were nice, running around the reservoir.  It was a little sketchy because it was a dirt road at first, but once we hit the pavement it was much better.  We hit the first aid station feeling great.

We ran alongside a guy who was also from St. George and running his first half marathon.  He was confident that he could do it even though his longest run was only 4 miles.  We all tried to keep a straight face as he told us that he wasn't worried about 13 miles because it was downhill, so it was really only like 8 miles, right?  We passed him at some point and didn't see him again.

There was also a kid of about 14 or so that kept stopping and dry heaving at the side of the road.  We offered him some water, but he wouldn't take it.  I sure hope he ended up OK. 

About then the downhill got a little crazy.  We had run downhill before, but this was aggressively downhill.  It was so steep that every time I would take a step, I could feel my foot slide all the way forward in my shoe, and then do it all over again the next step.  We hit the mile 6 aid station, and I thought I had something in my shoe.  I stopped and checked, but couldn't see anything, so I kept going.  Shortly afterward, we hit the half-way point, where I decided to see if there was actually something in my sock.  When I pulled back my sock, I saw a blister almost the size of my heel.  Oh crap.  I had never had a blister, even at the very beginning of my running process.  And here I was, half way through my race, with a monster of a blister that I would have to finish the race with.  Dang.  But I pulled my sock and shoe back on and headed on down the road.  By mile 7 I realized that I had a matching blister buddy on my other foot.  Fanflippintastic.

But the fun did not end there.  We reached the bottom of the canyon portion of the run and turned a corner.  Suddenly we were in open, blistering sun.  We were not used to training in exposed sun like that.  Most of the time we would see the sun while it was rising, and not much beyond that.  I felt my energy draining fast. I got a little boost from a well-placed aid station.  Then there was a most angelic Parowan citizen who stood in front of his house, with his garden hose pulled to it's limit, spraying the runners as they went past.  I could have kissed his 80 year old face. 

The good news was, even with my blisters and the sunshine, we were ahead of pace. So we just kept going.

If I were in charge of a race (which I am sure I never will be);  but if I were, I would do everything in my power to make sure that the finish line is placed in such a way that you do NOT pass it with 3 miles left to go.  It is pure torture to have to pass the finish line, then make a loop back up to the finish line.  Especially if that loop takes you slightly downhill, leaving you with a slight uphill back to the finish line. 

Also, if I ever run a half marathon, and I get to the finish line with extra energy, and I decide it would be a good idea to run back up the race course "encouraging" the runners still on the course, just do me a favor, and SHOOT ME!  Because that is SO ANNOYING!

Truth be told, I really struggled those last 3 miles.  I wanted so bad to keep up the pace, but I just ran out of energy.  I walked in short spurts, then would run again, but I felt that at that point, my running pace was hardly any faster than my walking pace.  When we finally got to that last turn, where we could see the finish line and hear the announcer and the cheering, I was finally able to keep my feet going.  It was a great feeling to cross that finish line.  Probably because it hadn't been a cakewalk run, it felt even better than it would have.  I always feel this feeling of elation after I have done something hard.  Since that race I have run 16, 17, 18, and 22 mile runs and finished feeling better than I did at that race.  But I still have such a great feeling when I think of that half...finished in 2 hours and 20 minutes with two GIANT blisters on my feet and not an ounce of energy left.


























Rick's work was a sponsor for the race, and paid for my entry.  Several other employees and spouses ran the race as well.  We all got together at the finish line for a little company picture.




























Ryan and Heather are the greatest running partners ever.

























Ryan had been through a horribly traumatizing week, and yet she was there to complete that run with some serious grit.  Heather is all positivity and encouragement.  I am lucky to have them to go through this process with.  And I can't wait to run the marathon with them.  We are going to be awesome!


























And I tell you what.  I have redemption on my mind.  I will definitely be running that race again next year.  And I will kill my time.  And I will cross that finish line blister-free and smiling!  If it kills me.

2 comments:

  1. I could kiss you! Thank you for photoshopping my "problem"! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm curious what Heather's "problem" was... ;)

    Oh, man. I can't imagine running with those huge blisters in that kind of heat! Way to keep going even when it felt close to impossible. I'm sure you'll crush this race next year, no problem!

    Who is the guy in the employees shot wearing the headband? He looks familiar.

    ReplyDelete