Friday, August 23, 2013

Just a day.

As the reality of training for a marathon set in, I decided to do my research.  I checked websites, running groups, and magazines.  But my favorite source of information came from people.  I have a few friends who have been runners for years, and I figured that their expertise was the best I could get.  I got tons of advice.  Everything from mp3 players to running socks, from diet to they way I tie my shoes, from water belts to playlists.

There were a few pieces of advice that contradicted each other, just depending on personal preference.  When to carbo load, how long your longest run should be, etc.  But there was one piece of wisdom that was imparted by several people, each in their own words.  I think my friend Beka said it best.  "The marathon is just a day.  The real challenge is in the training."

Oh boy, was she right.  Well, I guess I can't technically say that yet, since the BIG DAY hasn't come yet.  But I can definitely see it.  The training is what tries you.  The early alarms, the adjusted diet, the tired days, the achy muscles, the strict calendar.  I used to look to the marathon day with fear and dread.  Now I look at it with excitement.  It will be hard...that I know.  But it will be the end.  I will have reached my goal.  It won't be the end of my running, but it will be the end of my training for a while.  I know that probably doesn't make much sense to a lot of people, but if you have trained for a marathon, you KNOW what I mean!

October 5th can't get here soon enough!

1 comment:

  1. That is a great way of looking at it...and so true! The training really is the hardest part. I'm glad you looked forward to the marathon with excitement and not dread...I'm sure it made a significant difference when the BIG DAY did come.

    ReplyDelete